Friday, June 3, 2011

Quiet vrs Clamor

I live in a city. It's not a big city as cities go but my biggest complaint is the noise. Cars whizzing by so that a walk in the park is not peaceful. Peace and quiet used to go together. You know, "I am going to find some peace and quiet". Today I am longing for peace and quiet. I don't mind the kind of noise God makes. Like the babble of a river flowing by or the rustle of leaves blowing in the wind. Have you ever wondered why the noise we make is so irritating while the noise God makes is so soothing? I think it is the difference between music and clamor. Music has an underlying beat and message. Clamor is random noise. I wonder, is rustle of leaves, the crashing sounds of a waterfall and the chirping of birds truly music?

It used to be considered the height of rudeness to make the slightest noise during a symphony. It was rude even to cause your chair to squeak. Any interruption of the intricate, interwoven poetry of sound broke the mood. It seems more than rude to drown out God's symphony with horns blaring, heavy equipment clanging, airplanes roaring overhead. I feel smothered with it at times

I wonder if there is more of a purpose to God's music than we know. Music is vital when treating someone with brain trauma. It knits the brain back together. I feel like I need my brain knit back together every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment