Thursday, June 30, 2011

Watching the seasons pass

I am going to visit a friend today. She is wheelchair bound and grieving her loss of mobility. I love her and miss being able to take her out for tea. I was in a similar place once, sitting at the window and watching the seasons pass. Winter, Spring Summer... they all slipped by outside my window while I watched. It was a time when my world shrank to the size of my house, sometimes my bedroom. But as my world shrank, my God grew.

George MacDonald brings a period of illness into many of his stories. He connects illness with the emotional and spiritual condition of a person. I agree. Though I'm not sure if illness is caused by our spiritual condition or if it is an opportunity for a cure. I know this, I will never be the same as I was before my illness. I connected with God. I learned that being still is a requirement if I am to know Him (Psalms 46:10) His grace became real to me. I learned that Romans 8:1 is real. "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus" I was set free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2). Before I lost my ability to be busy, these were all just words to me, I could not make them mine. There is so much to be learned by being still.

No comments:

Post a Comment