Sunday, July 3, 2011

Shock

Change is a constant. There is no stopping it. All change causes grief and grief takes time. The thing is, change is becoming so rapid there isn't time to grieve one change before the next one hits. There are days for me when I am more than exhausted. The bombardment is too much for me. Sometimes I get lost in the confusion. I can't think in a line. I start to do something and get distracted only to get distracted again. I drown in a swirl of too much to think about.

I heard someone else describe the same struggle and wondered if I am in shock. Are we all in shock? Is the level of grieve related to change so high now that we can't cope? Many people my age are using drugs to cope.

There was a book written years ago called "Future Shock". It warned of the effects of rapid change. The author believed there was a point at which the speed of change would overtake our ability to cope. I'm amazed at how accurate that book was. The question is what can we do? (listening) Hmmm what I hear is "rest". That makes a lot of sense. The more our lives are changing the less we get rest. Rest almost feels wrong. God what about that? The sense I have is that satan makes life feels like death and death like life. Rest is the path to life so in the world it feels wrong. Hmmm, well, I'm off to rest and see if it clears out the cobwebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment