Sunday, July 17, 2011

Processing and time

It takes time to process the stuff that happens in my life and who has the time? Sometimes I think feelings get in the way of "progress". But what are feeling for? Why do we have emotions? Are they just in the way? Or is there a profound need for them?

I am a very passionate person. I feel everything deeply. It is exhausting sometimes. But if we are becoming like Jesus does that include the fact that He was full of passion? Did I start out a passionate person or am I becoming passionate as I become like Jesus? Jesus wept (John 11:35). He flipped over tables and drove people out of the temple with a whip (John 2:15) Jesus was moved with compassion (Matthew 9:36). What is the difference between passion and love? Not sexual passion or love but Agape love the sacrificial love, and passion the deep inner groanings of the spirit?

I have long ago stopped fighting my feelings. I once was so wounded that I felt nothing for anyone. I had no compassion. That's a horrible place to be. I'm not saying that I let my feelings run my life. What is the difference between feelings and passions? Have we let evil passions frighten us away from Godly passions? Are we supposed to deaden our passions or enliven them?

Many questions in my heart today. Do you have any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment