Friday, April 1, 2011

Noticing a child's tears

I’m going to explain up front that I am no expert on childhood grief, (well, if you understand grief as an outcome of loss then I have my experience and the experience of my children to draw from). I work with adult women who have been hurt. I wrote the book “Wings of Angels” because many women I work with have grief issues from their childhood that are yet unresolved.

Grief is complicated and difficult to navigate even as adults. Many times children are left floundering because their parents are lost in their own shock and grief.

If left to process grief on their own, children can come to believe many things that will negatively impact their lives. I remember being left uncomforted when my own grandfather died. Everyone around me was suffering as well, but my tears were a child’s tears. Somehow they didn’t seem to count.

I believe it is important as the adult to come to the aid of the child first. That is excruciatingly hard to do I know but perhaps in helping our children process we will find our own way out?

No comments:

Post a Comment