Sunday, April 3, 2011

Preventable grief

Some childhood grief is preventable. Ephesians 6:4 says, "Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged." I am saddened at how often this passage goes unheeded. I have known many adult survivors of childhood "provoking" of many forms. It leaves deep lacerations on tiny hearts.

I get from this passage that God does not want children to become discouraged. That says a lot to me about His response to Children. He put effort into making fathers safe for their children. He is putting the responsibility for their emotional well being squarely on the parent. It is important to listen, watch, and learn... really get to know children. They so want to be watched, heard, and known.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to watch a friends 2 1/2 year old last week. She was so smart and sweet and inquisitive. I loved chating with her. I asked her questions about if she knew Jesus, and she did know his name, and new the basic info, and I would not doubt she will be calling his name soon. My favorite part was how well she new the question, 'why'? lol... it was almost every other word. She even noticed her Nana's car was still in the driveway, so how come Nana wasn't there. I had to tell her Nana went with Papa in the car, and would return shortly. I was in Grandma mode and loving it. lol

    ReplyDelete